As a modern-day gadget, an iPhone comes equipped with a variety of features that are designed to make life easier for its users. One such feature is the Emergency SOS, which can be triggered by simply pressing a button on the device. However, many users are often confused about why their iPhone displays the “SOS” message and what they should do in such situations. In this article, we will explore the Emergency SOS feature in detail and provide insights on what to do if your iPhone says SOS.
What is Emergency SOS?
Emergency SOS is a feature on an iPhone that allows you to quickly contact emergency services such as the police, fire department, or ambulance. This feature is designed to be used in situations where you may need immediate assistance or are unable to call for help using traditional methods. When triggered, the Emergency SOS feature will automatically call the local emergency services and send a message to your emergency contacts with your current location.
How to Trigger Emergency SOS on iPhone
To activate the Emergency SOS feature on an iPhone, you can follow the steps below:
- Press and hold the side button and one of the volume buttons until the Emergency SOS slider appears.
- Drag the slider to the right to start the call. If you continue to hold down the side button and volume button, a countdown will begin and an alarm will sound. Once the countdown reaches zero, the call to emergency services will be made automatically.
Why Does My iPhone Say SOS?
If you see the “SOS” message on your iPhone, it means that the Emergency SOS feature has been triggered either accidentally or intentionally. This can happen if you press and hold down the side button and one of the volume buttons for too long or if you accidentally tap the Emergency SOS slider. If your iPhone displays the “SOS” message, you should remain calm and follow the steps outlined below.
What to Do if Your iPhone Says SOS
If your iPhone displays the “SOS” message, you should follow the steps below:
- Check if you triggered the Emergency SOS feature accidentally.
- If you did trigger the feature accidentally, simply dismiss the call by tapping the red “End Call” button on the screen.
- If you did not trigger the feature accidentally and are in need of emergency assistance, stay on the call and provide the necessary information to the operator. The operator will ask for your location, the type of emergency, and other relevant details.
How to Turn Off Emergency SOS on iPhone
If you would like to turn off the Emergency SOS feature on your iPhone, you can follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap “Emergency SOS” and then “Auto Call.”
- Toggle off the “Auto Call” feature to disable the Emergency SOS feature.
The Emergency SOS feature on an iPhone can be a lifesaver in times of need, but it can also be triggered accidentally, causing confusion and panic. By understanding how the feature works and what to do in case of an accidental trigger, you can avoid unnecessary calls to emergency services and use the feature effectively when you need it the most.